[OpenGeoscience] OSGeo Open Geoscience Committee approved

Margherita Di Leo dileomargherita at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 10:45:22 PDT 2015

Dear members of this list,

first, I apologize for not being present in this period after launching the
idea of this committee, but for personal (happy) reasons I'll be more
active from the second half of September. There are a couple of notes that
need to be discussed, though, and here they are:

1) During the OSGeo Board meeting of 13-08-2015 [1] the Open Geoscience
Committee was approved (yay!) with the condition of nominating a chair. For
his tireless committment and for the fact that he is the main brain behind
this initiative, I would like to propose Peter Loewe in this role, if he
agrees. I'm not sure if a voting process is needed for that, but I hope
it'll be simpler than that...

2) The Call for Session for the next EGU is accepting proposals until
18-09, therefore *we should definitely start discussing about it right away*

3) In order to make the discussion useful, we need to reach the critical
mass of the scientists that are potentially interested in taking part to
the sessions and the initiatives connected to this mailing list. We need to
spread the word among our colleagues and invite them to subscribe. During
the last Townhall meeting at EGU, we collected a list of emails of people
that wanted to be updated about related initiatives, and i think that this
is definitely the case to contact them! Peter, I think you have the emails?
Other than emails, in this era there are fancier means to spread the word
around.. I'm not an expert of twitter and other social media, but we could
definitely spam around also in those fields... other ideas?

Thank you for reaching the end of this email. Hope to hear from you soon..
If you want, take the time to introduce yourselves to the community if you
are new to OSGeo

Cheers!
Margherita

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2015-08-13