[OpenLayers-Dev] editing controls, preserve selection

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Wed Aug 22 18:20:28 EDT 2007

Hi Pierre,

I'm currently more involved in user interaction design and not so
much in coding so it could be that I'm cutting corners which are hard
to cut but:

why do you need to switch between modifyFeature control and
deleteVertex control?
IMO you can stay in modfiyFeature mode and allow the user to delete a
vertex by selecting it and press the delete key or hit the right
mouse button and select 'delete' .
I am aware that this approach forces the user to understand that a
webpage has more controls than mere links: keyboard, scrollwheel and
the right mouse button behave differently than in the classic Web.
I've been a great advisory (?) of backwards compatibility but
sometimes you need to take the extra step and force people to spend
10s more time to get the new paradigm to save 9s every time they do
the action.

This rambling has mainly focussed on your approach of feature editing
and doesn't solve you core question of preservation of selection,
sorry about that. I hope you solve your issue but even more I hope
you reconsider your current design (TBH there are valid reasons to
keep your current design, but ease of coding isn't one IMHO :)

good luck
steven