[OpenLayers-Dev] editing controls, preserve selection

Tim Schaub tschaub at openplans.org
Wed Aug 22 20:05:35 EDT 2007

Steven M. Ottens wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> I'm currently more involved in user interaction design and not so
> much in coding so it could be that I'm cutting corners which are hard
> to cut but:
>
> why do you need to switch between modifyFeature control and
> deleteVertex control?
> IMO you can stay in modfiyFeature mode and allow the user to delete a
> vertex by selecting it and press the delete key or hit the right
> mouse button and select 'delete' .
> I am aware that this approach forces the user to understand that a
> webpage has more controls than mere links: keyboard, scrollwheel and
> the right mouse button behave differently than in the classic Web.
> I've been a great advisory (?) of backwards compatibility but
> sometimes you need to take the extra step and force people to spend
> 10s more time to get the new paradigm to save 9s every time they do
> the action.
>
> This rambling has mainly focussed on your approach of feature editing
> and doesn't solve you core question of preservation of selection,
> sorry about that. I hope you solve your issue but even more I hope
> you reconsider your current design (TBH there are valid reasons to
> keep your current design, but ease of coding isn't one IMHO :)

I like the idea of creating small, single function controls.  Then
additional controls can be created that aggregate these.  I think this
gives us the most flexibility.

We've done a lot of work to get things this way currently.

So you've got a drag handler.  A box handler has a drag handler.  Then,
a zoom box control has a box handler.  This way, other things can also
make use of the drag handler (like the drag pan control) and other
things can make use of the box handler (like a box selection control).

The same goes for feature editing.  We've now got a drag feature control
in the trunk.  This uses a drag handler and a feature handler.  Alone,
it doesn't do that much, it lets you drag feature around.  We're also
putting together a modify feature control.  This uses a select feature
control and a drag feature control.  Together, it lets you select a
feature and drag around its verticies.

Next, we need delete vertex and add vertex controls.  Alone, these would
do just what they say.  These could be aggregated with a modify feature
control (and even a draw feature control if you like) into a single
feature editing control that lets you drag around verticies, add new
ones, and delete existing ones. Combined with a draw feature control,
this would give you one control to draw and edit.

Of course, there will be a lot of room for help from interaction
designers.  Ideally, we'll be able to use a combination of keyboard and
mouse input to activate and deactivate specific functionality in these
controls.

So, perhaps you were suggesting the same - but I wanted to make sure
that it was clear that it *doesn't* make sense to develop the
full-featured editing control before having the individual pieces in
place.

Tim