[OpenLayers-Dev] Review of patches, etc.

Tim Schaub tschaub at openplans.org
Mon Dec 17 15:12:06 EST 2007

Hey-

I doubt this is going to be popular, but in general, I'm against the
idea of removing the ticket/review process.

Sure, if someone spots a typo, we want to make it easy to fix that.  But
I don't think typos are really what we're talking about here.

I like two things about OpenLayers:
1) The trunk works.
2) We encourage paired programming or at least some discussion with
other developers to make sure modifications are well thought out.

I think the first is really a consequence of the second.  I rely heavily
on a working trunk.  I don't look forward to working on a project where
this is a liability.

More importantly, I really (really) like the collaborative effort on
modifications to the trunk.  Sandboxes are a fun and easy way for a
single developer (or a group of developers) to take off in their own
direction with an idea.  I like that bringing those modification in to
the trunk takes time.  More significantly, I like that it also takes the
eyes of other core developers.

I know there is a wide range between fixing typos and merging major
sandbox features.  However, with the exception of very trivial typo
fixes, I think all modifications benefit from more than one set of eyes.

I'm entirely in favor of making it easier to review and commit changes.
  However, I am against changing our ticket/review policy because I'm
not interested in working on a project that is really just a bunch of
independent minded developers slapping together things that look right
to them.

I look forward to working out a policy that makes everyone happy - and
I'm confident that we can.  (I also look forward to having Erik weigh in
on this before we make any changes.)

Tim