[OpenLayers-Dev] Automated Testing

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Dec 17 19:58:48 EST 2007

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 05:26:06PM -0700, Tim Schaub wrote:
> I like the idea (and if we were making a policy I would suggest) that a
> patch creator does three things:
>
> 1) make a ticket (more documentation than commit messages)

I think that this is true, with the exception of things like:

http://trac.openlayers.org/changeset/5439

Which I don't really think need a ticket.

> 2) run at least the tests you know are relevant in at least one browser
> 3) report what you did on the ticket
>
> Are you suggesting less?

Nope, but I think that we're still liable to break trunk that way, and
I'd like to make it so that breaking trunk is found by a machine instead
of by a human.

Specifically, I expect that as we support a wider range of browsers with
our tests (Opera is now as well supported as Firefox), we will find
things that break other browsers that we don't think to test... and it
lets us actually build a sane grid of what we support... and it lets us
ensure that we don't have to run around like chickens with our heads cut
off repairing Opera at release time.

Right now, I think the requirement for 2) is ardurous because it's not
'in at least one browser' -- it's "in at least FF + IE before it hits
trunk", and I think that's unrealistic long term as we add more
developers to the project.