[OpenLayers-Dev] Automated Testing

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Dec 19 16:05:51 EST 2007

On 19-Dec-07, at 3:20 PM, Eric Lemoine wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2007 3:34 PM, Christopher Schmidt
> <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 06:45:41AM +0100, Eric Lemoine wrote:

>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I agree with Paul that changes to the test framework should require
>>> tickets. Likewise, I think changes to the build framework (python
>>> files) should require tickets.
>>
>> Really? Why?
>>
>> I agree that all these things should be tested before commit, but I'm
>> not sure I understand why they need tickets. Especially with the
>> build
>> system, which I've never seen anyone other than Erik or I modify
>> (since
>> Phil/Schuyler wrote it originally Oh-So-Many-Years-Ago).
>>
>> snip ...
>
> My thinking was the following: the test framework is a core thing, if
> someone breaks it then we can end up with the situation where tests
> can no longer be run. The build system is something that users rely
> on.

My thinking was that if someone changes the framework, it could
potentially cause tests to pass that would otherwise fail.  Then
problems could be masked.  I'm not concerned that the framework might
break, this is easily identifiable and fixable, at least by reverting
to an older version.

Cheers

Paul