[OpenLayers-Dev] googleLayer disappears, not shown again until mousemove stop

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Feb 16 08:39:05 EST 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 11:15:05AM +0100, Jonas Beck wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am quite new to this list. experimenting around with OpenLayers (damn
> that's fun), i ran into a problem using a googleLayer.
> the whole googleLayer disappears all tiles at once, nevermind which kind
> of googleLayer (satellite/map/hybrid) i use. it seems to disappear
> around the moment when some new tiles should be loaded. anybody ran into
> that one too? i feel this is quite inconvenient, it just ruins the fun
> when browsing with a googleLayer in my map. im not into google, but it
> would make my work a lot easier , and better looking =).

I've seen this behavior many times. However, I am firmly of the belief
that this misbehavior is outside the realm of OpenLayers: the Google
Layer simply calls 'setCenter' many many times, most likely in a way
that is not designed to be supported by Google.

OpenLayers has an internal 'moveTo' operation on layers that is called
differently when dragging. I expect that Google has a similar function
-- which explains why you don't see the problem on Google Maps
applications -- but without the code being available it's not possible
to check it out.

At some point, I may try to form a small example that doesn't involve
OpenLayers which reproduces this, so I can take it to Google/Google
mailing lists, but it is my expectation at the moment that this problem
is not something that OpenLayers has control over.