[OpenLayers-Dev] WMS, Mapserver and OpenLayers

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Jul 6 01:45:23 EDT 2007

Hey Bradley,
is your mapserver configuration ok? I would say: install qgis
(www.qgis.org). This gives you an easy and alternative way to look at
wms-layers. Just give it the url of your mapserver and the name of your
mapfile and it will either show you the layers (and projections) which
you defined in your mapfile or an error.
If that is working, I would try to set up an WMS.Untiled layer first.
Using firefox and the firebug extension you can see exactly the url's
that OL is firing at mapserver then. You can see what bbox and srs (aka
projection) is asked from mapserver then.

I'm working with projected layers also, eg:

map = new OpenLayers.Map('map',  {
      'projection':'EPSG:28992',
      'units':'m',
      'maxExtent':new OpenLayers.Bounds(-20000,300000,300000,650000),
      'resolutions':[1, 2.5, 5, 10, 30, 50, 100, 175, 256, 512],
      'controls':[],  // empty controls om te zorgen dat er NIKS staat
      'theme':null    // empty theme to be able to override
});
// not tiled no cache
xxlayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS.Untiled( "xx",
"yourserver?map=mymapfile.map", {layers: 'a,b,c', FORMAT:'png'},
{ratio:1, units:'meters'} );

If all that is working, you can make it a tiled server and see if there
is a problem.

About poor quality: are you showing raster or vector data? If raster:
are you using the right resolutions for your layers? You can do a lot of
tweaking in the mapserver mapfile (anti aliassing etc).

White screens: be aware of caching of image data in your browser/proxy!
See if qgis is also giving white screens, if so: looks like an
mapserver/projection problem.

Hope this is of any help

Richard Duivenvoorde