[OpenLayers-Dev] [Mapbuilder-devel] Who is interested in SLD editing?

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Tue Jul 10 06:59:30 EDT 2007

Hi Cameron,
> Lorenzo,
> Could you please expand on what you have been doing in the server.

With Andrea we've studied a little bit the issue. We've seen that it is
not possible from a WMS client point of view to retrieve all
informations needed to do a complete style:
Min and Max values, histograms, ecc. are not offered by a WMS service.
Another important part is to filter the response, ex: if the client ask
for histograms and the result is too large the server should send back
and exception; this will avoid the server to hang, the client to crash
and net congestion.
We didn't studied the WFS case because it's not a priority to us but
we'll be happy to evaluate it if needed. I'm sure most of you have a
better knowledge about it then me.

> I didn't think that there was anything required for the server.
that was my hope too but...
I think it will be not that difficult to create an interface that shows
functions depending on the service available.
If we'll have only WMS service we will show the minimum set of features,
if we have a full support from the server we will show all possible
features.

> Do you mean you are creating JSP pages?
not sure,  but I think it will be a servlet.
this part is totally managed by Andrea.
He's intended to integrate the code in geoServer, well, a package to add
to geoServer.
> Have you been committing the code somewhere public?
not yet.
The code is still on Andrea's computer, still Alpha. I've just seen the
image I've attached.

> You might want to CC Andrea Cappugi on this thread.
right

> I assume he can't make the meeting either?
guess so, but not sure.
I'll be in Rome this evening, tomorrow I'll spend the day with Andrea
trying to refine the issue.
then more infos tomorrow.

ciao
Lorenzo