[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers dragging issue

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Jul 27 11:55:49 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 08:53:23AM -0500, Les Szklanny wrote:
> Les Szklanny wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I created a simple demo using OL 2.4 and Scriptaculous 1.7.1 beta 3
> > showing a dragging problem, which I believe is caused by OpenLayers.
> >
> > http://www.slippymap.com/kamap.html
> >
> > Try to quickly drag the 'Powered by Oracle' image.  If you are using
> > FF or Safari, the image gets disconnected from the cursor, but it
> > drags quite well on IE 6 and 7.
> >
> > If I comment out the MouseDefaults or MousePosition controls, then
> > dragging becomes very smooth as one would expect.  The two controls
> > have handlers that observe mouse movement.

> Hi all and happy Friday :)
>
> I asked this question a week ago...
>
> Is there something I can add or clarify?   I'm lost how to handle this
> problem.

I don't have the problem on Firefox 2.0 on OS X.

Oh, I see -- you meant 'drag it over the map'. Yes. This is probably
because the event is stopped by the map when you mouse out. Search the
code for OpenLayers.Event.stop, return false;, etc.

However, in general, these things are there for a reason -- I can't
guarentee it, but it is possible that changing this behavior will result
in other parts of OpenLayers not working as expected.