[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers dragging issue

Les Szklanny lszklanny at where2getit.com
Fri Jul 27 12:10:59 EDT 2007

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 08:53:23AM -0500, Les Szklanny wrote:
>
>> Les Szklanny wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I created a simple demo using OL 2.4 and Scriptaculous 1.7.1 beta 3
>>> showing a dragging problem, which I believe is caused by OpenLayers.
>>>
>>> http://www.slippymap.com/kamap.html
>>>
>>> Try to quickly drag the 'Powered by Oracle' image.  If you are using
>>> FF or Safari, the image gets disconnected from the cursor, but it
>>> drags quite well on IE 6 and 7.
>>>
>>> If I comment out the MouseDefaults or MousePosition controls, then
>>> dragging becomes very smooth as one would expect.  The two controls
>>> have handlers that observe mouse movement.
>>>

>> Hi all and happy Friday :)
>>
>> I asked this question a week ago...
>>
>> Is there something I can add or clarify?   I'm lost how to handle this
>> problem.
>>

> I don't have the problem on Firefox 2.0 on OS X.
>
> Oh, I see -- you meant 'drag it over the map'. Yes. This is probably
> because the event is stopped by the map when you mouse out. Search the
> code for OpenLayers.Event.stop, return false;, etc.
>
> However, in general, these things are there for a reason -- I can't
> guarentee it, but it is possible that changing this behavior will result
> in other parts of OpenLayers not working as expected.
>
> Regards,

Christopher, hi!

I'm not sure I understand your response.

This is a big deal for me (and probably others) as it means you can't build a draggable marker that drags smoothly.

I created an OpenLayers.Marker.DragabbleMarker class... and the markers don't drag very well.

Interesting, this works very well in IE 6 and 7, poorly in FF and very poorly in Safari.

Try QUICKLY dragging the green center marker in slippymap.com or end markers for driving directions.

Dragging and releasing the green center marker results in a new proximity search.

Dragging and releasing the end markers for driving directions results in a new driving directions search.

http://www.slippymap.com

Les