[OpenLayers-Dev] Performance question

Lance Dyas lancelot at inetnebr.com
Sat Jul 28 12:44:56 EDT 2007

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 02:29:13PM +0100, Ludwig M Brinckmann wrote:
>
>>> In general, I would advise against having 11 seperate layers on a map.
>>> It's possible that this really is neccesary, but in general, 11 layers
>>> is more likely to confuse the user: You're the map maker, make some
>>> decisions about how the map should look, and combine some of the
>>> layers.
>>>
>> Well, I think there are many situations where one would want to give
>> a user,
>> which might not be the general public, a _lot_ of layers and I would
>> argue
>> that OL should should support this.
>>

> The primary issues with supporting this are not issues that can be
> solved on the client side.
WMS layers from the same server can be told to composite on the WMserver
... if they were managed in the layer switcher as separate layers the
user would get the controls but not the quick switch ... but much fewer
images requested from the servers... it is about creating a good illusion.
These comma separated layers could be listed individually or like
subfolders in a tree