[OpenLayers-Dev] Performance question

Lance Dyas lancelot at inetnebr.com
Mon Jul 30 09:43:04 EDT 2007

Lorenzo Becchi wrote:

>> > The primary issues with supporting this are not issues that can be
>> > solved on the client side.   WMS layers from the same server can be
>> told to composite on the WMserver ... if they were managed in the
>> layer switcher as separate layers the user would get the controls but
>> not the quick switch ... but much fewer images requested from the
>> servers... it is about creating a good illusion.
>> These comma separated layers could be listed individually or like
>> subfolders in a tree
>>

> Actually quick switching from the same WMS server would be feasible if
> we allow the interface to move up and down wms layers inside the same
> OL layer.
> Then we just need to refresh the OL layer.
Layer shuffling( turning off a layer for example is instantaneous) as
they are stored as separate graphics client side is fast and even the
adding of a new layer to the mix is faster as the server is only
processing that one...  but the server side composited, reordering or
exclusion of a layer will be slow as it is processing/re-rendering all
the combined layers..  its not "Quick" anymore. We get different benefits

> All this is still colliding with TileCache or ka-Map cache as it is
> make poor sense to store/cache all layer combinations from one server.

indubitably