[OpenLayers-Dev] IE

Tim Schaub noreply at geocartic.com
Tue Jun 5 12:18:45 EDT 2007

Hey-

Lance Dyas wrote:
> Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
>> Hope somebody can help me solving IE XML parsing problem (WMSManager.js
>> line 862) and Safari select issue (WMSManager.js line 674).
>> Otherwise I'll go on "crying alone"
>> :-)
>>
> The true horror of it is. IE has very poor xml parsing...in specific
> NameSpaces and
> Character Encodings are munged...and while there is "XML for <Script>" a
> javascript
>  library which can for the most part by pass it.. well it adds a minimum
> of 80kb to your
>  solution and over the web... that is quite a cost

I'm going to suggest OpenLayers.Format.XML for cross-browser xml-dom
serializing/deserializing.

I've only taken a quick hack at this, but you can see the results in
this demo (serialize/deserialize GML):
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/xml/examples/vector-formats.html

In my mind, any format based on XML should subclass
OpenLayers.Format.XML - these formats will inherit methods like
createElementNS, getElementsByTagNameNS, etc.

(I hope to deprecate the OpenLayers.Ajax and OpenLayers.Util that do
this sort of thing for 3.0.)

Tim

- the code in this sandbox should not be considered stable or complete