[OpenLayers-Dev] A new Era of... documentation!

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Jun 29 12:24:30 EDT 2007

(Follow-up to users at openlayers.org.)

So, as of about 15 minutes ago, the trunk of OpenLayers has been
completely reworked to be documented in NaturalDocs style instead of
JSDoc style.

What does this mean for you?

For everyone, there is now a more complete set of OpenLayers
documentation, which can be built by anyone, and a full set of docs
written in that style.

For users, we now have a set of documentation about what APIs,
properties, etc. we promise to keep the same from version to version.
The Properties, Methods, classes, etc. that are documented at
http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/ will not change without a major
version bump (or, in some extreme cases, a strong majority opinion to
the contrary, as in the non-working Canvas code that has been removed
from trunk).

For developers, we now have a much more complete set of documentation,
describing everything in and around the OpenLayers classes.
http://dev.openlayers.org/docs/ In addition, you can generate these docs
using the natural docs command line tool, so when you're writing your own
code, you can generate the docs and see how your docs look.

There are a lot of people who have put effort in, and improving the
existing documentation is going to continue to be a challenge -- but
we've now taken the documentation we *do* have and made it available in
a way that we didn't have as of even 2 weeks ago. Thanks so much ot all
the people who worked on this, and we're looking forward to seeing what
happens now that people actually know what's inside OpenLayers :)