[OpenLayers-Dev] status of ArcGIS server connector

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Nov 25 12:29:25 EST 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 12:24:43PM -0500, Christopher L Judd wrote:
> Open Layers Dev folk,
>
> Last year around this time I found some traffic on creating an ArcGIS server
> connector for Open Layers.  Can anyone tell me the status of this?  I found
> a sand box version that was working with ESRI's serverx.esri.com ArcGIS
> server dev machine and it looked like it had promise.

There has been no effort towards creating an ArcGIS server connector for
OpenLayers.

There have thus far been two OpenLayers related efforts towards using
ESRI software or services:
 * ArcGIS TileCache reading, by stvn. This is in a sandbox, linked from
   the FAQ. It's incomplete, and no further effort has been put forward
   to making it more complete.
   http://svn.openlayers.org/sandbox/stvn/arcgis-server/
 * ESRI Web Services layer, in:
   http://svn.openlayers.org/sandbox/crschmidt/arcwebservices/lib/OpenLayers/Layer/ArcWebServices.js
   This works, to an extent, but no code was ever written to fetch
   tokens, which means htat would have to be an application level
   behavior. There is currently no effort being put towards putting this
   code into trunk or maintaining this code.