[OpenLayers-Dev] singleTile optimization

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Oct 3 22:04:34 EDT 2007

I guess I missed the original discussion or don't remember it.  I can
see that there are some issues with how this might be implemented.
For instance, it only makes sense to attempt this for singleTile
layers that are not also a baseLayer AND if the baseLayer is not a
singleTile layer.  Otherwise there is no grid to synchronize the
extents with.

The reason I was asking is because we had implemented the singleTile
concept in kaMap for a particular use case and it was aligned with
the 'meta extent' of the currently loaded tiles.  The meta extent are
the extent of all loaded tiles in the base layer.  The singleTile was
redrawn when either a row or column of tiles was wrapped, rather than
when an edge of the singleTile was inside the current viewport extent.

The default in kaMap was to use a single tile buffer rather than a
two tile buffer, so the singleTile render would be roughly the same
size as the current OpenLayers singleTile ratio of 1.5

The potential performance gain is largely theoretical to me since I
always run my browser with the cache turned off.  However, as we are
moving one particular client from kaMap to OpenLayers, they have
noticed a difference.

Chris, can you elaborate on why you are/were against this?

Paul