[OpenLayers-Dev] RFC: Resolution to only change License with Unanimous Vote

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 04:34:28 EDT 2007

My initial reaction to a wiki record of all votes was "what a great
idea", but upon thinking further, I've cooled to the idea.

My experience is that most things that go to a vote are usually fairly
obvious and get a unanimous show support. It gives the proposer an
acknowledgment they are on the right track.

If there is debate on the issue, the proposal usually modified 2 or 3
times and re-voted on. Should we record all the votes for the proposal?
And cut and paste how someone initially said no, then said yes after
certain conditions were met?

So the cost of recording a vote is probably ~ 15 mins. Is it worth it?

What do we gain? I'm yet to have a need to return to a historic decision
with a desire to know who voted for what. Maybe it would be useful for
someone studying the effectiveness of Open Source. I can't think of any
legal value that we gain above recording votes in an email list.
And for collecting reasons for people voting "-1", this information can
be collected in the comments section of a wiki RFC already.

--
Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au