[OpenLayers-Dev] Fwd: Re: RFC: Changing the License on OpenLayers

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Oct 10 12:59:06 EDT 2007

On 10-Oct-07, at 12:17 PM, Schuyler Erle wrote:

> * On  9-Oct-2007 at 10:53PM PDT, Cameron Shorter said:
>> +0
>> (changed to +1 if +0 is considered blocking)
>>
>> As noted on PSC email lists, I don't like the proliferation of Open
>> Source licenses. I understand Metacarta's concerns regarding the
>> ambiguity of the BSD license and think they are valid.
>>
>> I'm encouraged by Metacarta's intent to propose the "Clear BSD" be
>> incorporated into the next version of the BSD. However I'm
>> concerned by
>> the delay engaging the BSD community, and it seems no resources are
>> allocated to the task.
>
> I think we agreed by consensus that a +0 would block a license change.
> Our informal understanding with Howard and Frank is that the Clear
> BSD, as Chris indicated, is sufficiently similar to existing BSD
> licenses that, given the existing precedent with GDAL, the OSGeo
> Incubation Committee and Board of Directors are likely to accept it as
> falling well within the spirit of other OSGeo-approved licenses.
>
> It's very important that we have a strong consensus within the PSC
> before moving forward. Cameron, can we get either a +1 from you, or a
> more detailed explanation of your concerns so that we can ensure that
> they get addressed?
>
> SDE

On this ...  without wanting to be pedantic about it, can we change
the wording of the + and - voting system to something like:

+1 strongly agree
+0 agree
0 neither agree nor disagree
-0 disagree
-1 strongly disagree

and remove the wording about being willing to be involved in
implementation or changing in the +1/-1 case as they really don't
apply to the things we actually vote about.

Paul