[OpenLayers-Dev] Fwd: Re: RFC: Changing the License on OpenLayers

Schuyler Erle sderle at metacarta.com
Wed Oct 10 12:17:09 EDT 2007

* On  9-Oct-2007 at 10:53PM PDT, Cameron Shorter said:
> +0
> (changed to +1 if +0 is considered blocking)
>
> As noted on PSC email lists, I don't like the proliferation of Open
> Source licenses. I understand Metacarta's concerns regarding the
> ambiguity of the BSD license and think they are valid.
>
> I'm encouraged by Metacarta's intent to propose the "Clear BSD" be
> incorporated into the next version of the BSD. However I'm concerned by
> the delay engaging the BSD community, and it seems no resources are
> allocated to the task.

I think we agreed by consensus that a +0 would block a license change.
Our informal understanding with Howard and Frank is that the Clear
BSD, as Chris indicated, is sufficiently similar to existing BSD
licenses that, given the existing precedent with GDAL, the OSGeo
Incubation Committee and Board of Directors are likely to accept it as
falling well within the spirit of other OSGeo-approved licenses.

It's very important that we have a strong consensus within the PSC
before moving forward. Cameron, can we get either a +1 from you, or a
more detailed explanation of your concerns so that we can ensure that
they get addressed?

SDE

----- End forwarded message -----