[OpenLayers-Dev] KML Styling

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Oct 15 09:26:42 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 03:16:43PM +0200, Andreas Hocevar wrote:
> Chris,
>
> On 10/15/07, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> > I think that it would be acceptable to not worry about OpenLayers.Style
> > until it makes it into trunk: we're going to have to do a lot of
> > churn/transition once it's in
>
> From my point of view, there is only one open question for the
> sldRenderer, which I posted to the list earlier today. Once the
> "apply-style magic" is implemented, I would consider the sldRenderer
> sandbox ready for review and putting it into trunk after that. Since
> there are only two places in existing code that are affected by the
> sldRenderer, I dont't think that there would be too much churn to do.

Ah, that's good. I hadn't realized it was so close -- I saw your post,
but hadn't responded yet. I'll get on that.

The 'churn' I'm talking about is converting existing
OpenLayers.Feature.Vector.style stuff to use OpenLayers.Style instead.
I feel like there is some significant chunk of this in the code still. I
could be wrong though, and this will all be a trivial replacement.

> >, and I don't mind having KML development
> > go the existing path until it gets in, just so we don't have
> > cross-sandbox development (which I hate merging).
>
> This is the one thing. But the other thing is that the
> OpenLayers.Style class is a good representation for any kind of style
> information retreived from xml or elsewhere. And IMO it would be a
> shame if such neat things would have to be developed twice.

Good feedback. Some of this depends on time, I'm sure. My feeling was
just that creating an OpenLayers.Style object should be relatively easy
once the KML style *parsing* and so on is done -- converting a
{'hash':'of styles'} to an OpenLayers.style object is not much more than
a find/replace, I don't think, especially if it's done right in the KML
code.