[OpenLayers-Dev] Addins Directory

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Oct 18 08:58:51 EDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 08:42:15AM -0400, Paul Spencer wrote:
> Erik,
>
> are the Addins intended to be officially supported, but outside the
> core library?  Or are they intended to be third party contributions
> that are 'use at your own risk'?

I think my personal intention is that they are 'officially supported by
their developer', and that users can expect help from the mailing list,
IRC, etc. If the WMS Manager goes into addins, I expect Lorenzo to
support the users of it via the OpenLayers infrastructure.

So, I wouldn't expect that I would be answering every questino related
to every addin, but I would chip in, and I would expect other developers
to take an active role in supporting their users.

If the OpenLayers trunk breaks compatibility with an addin, I think that
the OpenLayers project would have a responsibility to fix it.

To me this is definitely not 'use at your own risk': these are things
that are meant to work with OpenLayers. If they don't, that's a problem,
and the project has a responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen.
If we find that an addin is not 'up to snuff' -- that is, it's
consistently broken, or it's not being maintained -- then in my mind,
it doesn't go into addins -- and if it's already there, we consider
taking it out.

Make sense?