[OpenLayers-Dev] status of translation possibilities

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Oct 18 09:33:56 EDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 03:23:50PM +0200, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask about the status of OpenLayers language support.
> There are not many strings, which could be translated, however, some are
> there and IMHO we should (de)find a way, how to make this possible. Was
> there some discussion to this topic?
>
> IMHO, new map attribute "lang" should be defined, as well as new method
> OpenLayer.Util.getOLString("English text") (or similar).
>
> Any suggestions? Should I write something like this? Is there already
> some code out there?

No code yet, but I agree that now is the time.

http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/RFC/Internationalization

Is my start at an RFC, which never went far enough.

My belief is that we should make this a global setting, rather than a
per-map configuration. This would mean you could not have multiple
languages on the same page at the same time, but would also mean you
don't need a reference to the map object in order to get a correct
translation string. I don't know if the trade off is worth it. What do
other people think?