[OpenLayers-Dev] status of translation possibilities

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 10:10:10 EDT 2007

I wouldn't think this to be too hard.

In most internationalized applications I've seen, there is typically a "lang" or "strings" file that contains all of the strings for a given application.  Then when the code needs a string it will call a global variable containing that error/warning/info message.  This way all of the needed translation is isolated to a single file.  Changing languages becomes a matter of loading an alternate language file.

So there could be a collection of language files:
strings.en.js
strings.es.js
strings.fr.js
strnigs.de.js

And then provide some basic facilities for switching between them. In fact, each of those files could be a JSON object that gets loaded to a global object/variable.

I may be just spewing bad ideas... but so long as the creative juices were flowing I'd thought I'd share.

-Duck