[OpenLayers-Dev] status of translation possibilities

Christian López Espínola penyaskito at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 10:40:18 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I personally prefer the style that Chris pointed in a previous discussion:
http://openlayers.org/pipermail/dev/2007-July/001017.html

About the way it should be used, an Openlayers.i18n.CURRENT_LANG
global var and an OpenLayers.i18n.setLanguage() method would be simple
and extensible.

My 2 cents.

On 10/18/07, Dan Little <danlittle at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't think this to be too hard.
>
> In most internationalized applications I've seen, there is typically a
> "lang" or "strings" file that contains all of the strings for a given
> application.  Then when the code needs a string it will call a global
> variable containing that error/warning/info message.  This way all of the
> needed translation is isolated to a single file.  Changing languages becomes
> a matter of loading an alternate language file.
>
> So there could be a collection of language files:
> strings.en.js
> strings.es.js
> strings.fr.js
> strnigs.de.js
>
> And then provide some basic facilities for switching between them. In fact,
> each of those files could be a JSON object that gets loaded to a global
> object/variable.
>
> I may be just spewing bad ideas... but so long as the creative juices were
> flowing I'd thought I'd share.
>
> -Duck

Christian López Espínola