[OpenLayers-Dev] Developement of an external vector symbol

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 06:44:22 EDT 2007

Barbara,
This sounds like a great initiative and I'd be surprised if there isn't
already a number of projects which transform between SVG and VML.
I know that there has been work converting GML to SVG, and hence there
shouldn't be much work transforming GeoRSS to SVG.

So I suggest:
1. Before you do any development, research available tools that you can use.
2. Create one vector library (either SVG or VML) and use a translation
tool to automatically convert from one to the other.
3. Precompile the alternative library. Ie, don't convert SVG to VML on
the fly in Javascript. It will slow the browser down.
3. I suspect that SVG would be a better format to support than VML. I
believe SVG is used by a number of other projects, eg the Linux Icon
libraries.
4. Search for existing icon libraries and consider extending the
existing icon libraries rather than creating a new project. Maybe make a
geographic version of the library.
5. Think bigger than just OpenLayers. You start the free icon library
used by all Open Source GIS projects. It might be a candidate project
for: http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGeo_Labs
(Although you may want to seed your project within Openlayers)