[OpenLayers-Dev] Developement of an external vector symbol

Barbara Philippot barbara.philippot at camptocamp.com
Fri Oct 19 11:18:32 EDT 2007

Ian Mayo a écrit :
> Barbara,
> I'm afraid I can't offer an opinion on your languages challenge.  It
> would be great if there was a pre-existing file-format for vector
> symbols, then we just specify filenames rather than hard-code the
> vectored shapes.

Yes, this is why we are trying to do. But people would have to specify
two filenames (one in SVG, the other in VML) to replace the pre-existing
symbol catalogue files and it's not still the ideal solution but perhaps
it's the only one.
> I'm currenlty working on provision of per-entry icons (images) for
> georss feeds. [1].  I've made good progress, but may have to pause my
> efforts for the next 7 days, see my demo at: [2].   Had you considered
> using the symbols on a per-entry fashion in a georss feed?  I suspect
> it's fortunate I've got a self-induced development pause: it would
> seem to be worth offering per-entry symbols as well as icons.
>
> Appreciate your thoughts/opinions.

Well, I hadn't considered using symbols in a georss feed and I don't
know well Georss format. For the moment, symbols are associated with
points geometry with a style.use="symbol" in the same way as images were
associated with style.externalGraphic. So, I haven't looked in detail to
the way you attach icons to GeoRss nodes but it seems that you would be
able to use SVG and VML symbols as well as images.

I hope to make progress before your development pause ends :-)