[OpenLayers-Dev] Empty geometries causing errors in IE

Roald de Wit rdewit at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 29 20:00:34 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 09:52 -0600, Tim Schaub wrote:
> I'm entirely in favor of this.  I don't think the renderer is the right
> place to bomb (or hey maybe even throw an exception!) on an empty geometry.
>
> I think it makes sense to have our format classes throw exceptions on
> empty geometries.  They could even have an option to allow empty
> geometry.  In any case, it should be up to the application designer to
> decide what to do with empty geometry.  As library developers, I don't
> think we should impose our beliefs about empty geometries on all others.
>
> Breaking in only one browser, and only when rendering, is a bit late and
> a bit inconsistent.
>

> > See ticket #1111 for a simple 'fix'.
>
> See also http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/968
>
> I'd like to see some tests for the renderers really.  I haven't looked
> closely at your patch, but it would be nice to make sure we don't slip
> once we decide to make a change (like make browser behavior consistent).

That fix in the patch I mentioned is probably not the best solution
(although it worked for us).

A few places where I can imagine we could prevent the renderer from
trying to render the empty geometry is:

- Renderer/Elements.js: drawGeometryNode()
- Renderer.js: drawFeature()
- Format/*.js: parseGeometry()

It would be nice if we can come up with a clean solution for this.

Roald

--
Roald de Wit
Software Engineer
roald.dewit at lisasoft.com

Commercial Support for Open Source GIS Software
http://lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts/