[OpenLayers-Dev] Some of the WMS tiles not getting refreshed

Andrea Aime aaime at openplans.org
Wed Sep 5 03:27:13 EDT 2007

louvy.joseph at gmail.com ha scritto:
> Thanks Crhis, Andrea & Cameron. I still have the problem. Couple of notes.
>
> 1) Yes, I was already using the random number with mergeNewParams().
>     wmsLayer.mergeNewParams({'foo': Math.random()});
>
> And I do see that there is FOO value getting embedded in my WMS url.
>
> 2) Funny thing is that when I look at the tile in firebug by clicking
> Net->Images->wms->Response,  I see my new tile with proper image but the
> browser itself seem to display old tile. Why? Most of the tiles are okay
> except for one tile or rarely two tiles.
>
> 3) The response headers from firebug are:
>
> Response Headers
> Server 	Apache-Coyote/1.1
> Content-Type 	image/png
> Transfer-Encoding 	chunked
> Date 	Wed, 05 Sep 2007 00:23:53 GMT
> Request Headers
> Host 	wms1.localhost:8080
> User-Agent 	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6)
> Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6
> Accept 	image/png,*/*;q=0.5
> Accept-Language 	en-us,en;q=0.5
> Accept-Encoding 	gzip,deflate
> Accept-Charset 	ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
> Keep-Alive 	300
> Connection 	keep-alive
> Referer 	http://localhost:8080/polaris-web/edit
>

> Do you see anything wrong in the header? I don't see "Pragma: No-Cache"
> in the header. Is that something to be worried about?

Frankly, I don't know... good question thought.
One more check is about the date field: the date is generated on the
server, any chance a server having a clock in the future compared to
the client may cause this?

> 4) Andrea, are you referring to "Cache Enabled" & "Cache Time" field in
> geoserver console's under WFS feature edit screen? The "Cache Enabled"
> check box is not enabled and the "Cache Time" text field is empty.

Yes, correct, and as you see, there are no caching headers there.
Thought without the nocache pragma, who knows, it may be... in fact it's
something I always set in dynamic web pages, maybe we should set it
in uncached responses too...
Wondering, does mapserver add that pragma to its responses?

Cheers
Andrea