[OpenLayers-Dev] updating release versions (was: OL 2.4 conflict with MS Ajax.Net)

John Cole john.cole at uai.com
Tue Sep 11 11:50:01 EDT 2007

Christopher,
  This may be something that deserves more discussion, especially as OL
continues to grow.  It's not going to effect me much now, as I'm already
running a separate copy of OL (pre 2.4 because we went live before 2.4 went
gold), but in the future, as existing apps continue to run on older versions
of OL, it will effect me greatly.

  Bug fixes might not require a new RC cycle, depending on the scope of the
changes, and one could argue that any fix that would require a new RC
shouldn't be applied.  However, small bugs or security issues will crop up
and it would be nice to have the release branch actually contain the fixes,
instead of having everyone maintain their own, partially fixed versions.

  As I said, it isn't a large issue now, but it would be nice to have a
version receive updates for some planned period of time, especially when
it’s the current version. :-)  As more apps go online with OL, this will be
an issue in the future.

Thanks,

John