[OpenLayers-Dev] Rule subclasses and 2.6

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 16:27:48 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Christopher Schmidt
<crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
>  So, with this, I'm convinced that:
>   * In 2.7, Rule.Logical won't exist (or won't do what it does now).
>   * In 2.6, We can drop API* from it

Chris, if I understand you (and this whole discussion) correctly, you
would keep API* for the Rule subclasses except for Rule.Logical.
Rule.Logical must be treated differently because later - when we
introduce the Filter classes - we won't be able to make it a
convenience method. Does my understanding sound correct?

Now my position on this: if we're to drop API* from Rule.Logical, I
would drop it from all the Rule subclasses. Because I think it is hard
to guess upfront what will be good convenience methods.

Is it such a big deal to drop API* from Rule.*? People with sufficient
knowledge on the style/rule framework would be able to use the Rule
subclasses with 2.6 and modify their application code to make it work
with 2.7. The other people can still benefit from the style/rule
framework through SLD.

Cheers,
--
Eric