[OpenLayers-Dev] Rule subclasses and 2.6

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Apr 6 16:44:06 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:27:48PM +0200, Eric Lemoine wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Christopher Schmidt
> <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> >  So, with this, I'm convinced that:
> >   * In 2.7, Rule.Logical won't exist (or won't do what it does now).
> >   * In 2.6, We can drop API* from it
>
> Chris, if I understand you (and this whole discussion) correctly, you
> would keep API* for the Rule subclasses except for Rule.Logical.
> Rule.Logical must be treated differently because later - when we
> introduce the Filter classes - we won't be able to make it a
> convenience method. Does my understanding sound correct?

No, I think that I'm convinced that convenience of any Rule subclasses
is likely overruled by the confusion they would cause: I'm not in favor
of keeping the Rule subclasses as API Classes at all, I just used
Rule.Logical as an example.

> Now my position on this: if we're to drop API* from Rule.Logical, I
> would drop it from all the Rule subclasses. Because I think it is hard
> to guess upfront what will be good convenience methods.

Agreed.

> Is it such a big deal to drop API* from Rule.*? People with sufficient
> knowledge on the style/rule framework would be able to use the Rule
> subclasses with 2.6 and modify their application code to make it work
> with 2.7.

I don't like this, but I've grudgingly admitted that I am willing to
accept it, yes. I don't feel comfortable with it, though.

> The other people can still benefit from the style/rule
> framework through SLD.

I'll take your word for it, since I don't know how to use SLD :)