[OpenLayers-Dev] Markers reprojection

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Apr 21 13:56:49 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:52:03AM -0400, Julien-Samuel Lacroix wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to add Markers and Vectors on a SphericalMercator map. My
> coordinates are in degree instead of meters. The projection member is
> not supported in the Markers and Vector Layer class. Is there a reason
> for that?

In general, there is no good place that we can know that we should be
reprojecting on these layers.

> I know I could reprojection all the LatLon object I create individually,
> but it would be more easier to have it directly in the Layer. I could
> open a ticket and submit a patch if you feel it worth going in the trunk.

Where do you think the reprojection code would live in this case? I
don't like the idea of touching someone else's geometry. In the case of
a Layer.GML or some such, the format is creating the geometry, so it
never belonged to someone else to begin with, but with Layer.Vector and
Layer.Marker, that's less true.