[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers Architect - GSoC 2008 Project Stats Report 3

Erik Hazzard enoex1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 22:37:57 EDT 2008

Overview
Reworked Panel / Control Drag boxes - Cleaned up code - Began IE
debugging - Started implementing code generation

The biggest thing that I've been working on recoding the dragging
boxes. Originally the panels and controls were seperate draggable
boxes, but after some thought I decided it would be best to require
panel configuration for controls that resided within them, then
confine the control extents to the predefined panel.  I plan to not
give total control over the control's position within a panel by
default - instead, they can be resized, rearranged, and floated.  This
functionality may not be fully complete by the time I release the
project however, as I feel that generating the code for the map itself
is more pressing right now.
I also went through most my code and cleaned it up a good deal.  As
the deadline is approaching, I want my code to be as readable as
possible once it's released.
Before I get too far into code generation I want to make sure that the
application isn't too broken in IE 6.  I've fixed the majority of bugs
in IE, and I'm sure more will pop up, but I just didn't want to be
overwhelmed when the time came to debug.  So to sum it up, this week
I've been preparing to work on code generation.
I don't think this will give me that much trouble.  I've been fortune
enough to have Chris give me some pointers on using
OpenLayers.Object.prototype from earlier on and I've tried to keep the
OLArchitect map object as extensible as possible so generating code
for a similar OpenLayers map wouldn't be a big issue. This next week I
plan to first finish code generation then tidy up the control within a
panel drag box.

ToDo
1. Code generation.  Javascript for now, CSS will be next week once I
finish the next step
2. Tidy up control within panel draggable boxes
3. Debug in IE
4. Work on basic theme customization

I still feel that I am well on track and look forward to the next two weeks.

I've been unable to commit today, but tomorrow a more up to date
version of my project will be located at http://olarchitect.com