[OpenLayers-Dev] 2.7 Release - Update

Erik Uzureau euzuro at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 04:31:45 EDT 2008

Dear Dev,

For those of you following the TRAC movements, you will see that
tonight I went through and single-handedly
tossed a bunch of tickets out of the 2.7 milestone and into 2.8.

If one of those was your ticket, I apologize. For many of them, I had
to make decisions based only on what I
saw in the ticket... so if there was no patch and/or no activity in
the ticket for the last month or so, I just
reasoned that whatever it is, nobody is terribly worried about it
getting into 2.7.

If that is not the case, please feel free to move your ticket back to
2.7... but please include a comment as to
the status of the patch that you are working on.

Moving along, the status of the 2.7 release is not looking too
terribly bad, all things considered.
(for the following comments, please refer to the official 2.7 release
page: http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Release/2.7)

As I was moving tickets out of the 2.7 milestone, I also tried to go
through each and every pending ticket
and make sure it is in the correct bucket. I moved all of the tickets
out of the 'Outstanding' group and into '
either 'Review' or 'Needs Work'.

Similarly for the 'Needs Discussion' group, I believe I moved all the
tickets out into 2.8 except for one.

So!

As it stands right now we have:

20 Tickets that 'Need More Work'

1 Ticket that 'Needs Discussion'

and

34 Tickets that Need to be Reviewed

....all that and we've already got about 100 closed tickets, so I
think it is shaping up to be a pretty solid,
if not incredibly flashy release.

Of the tickets that need more work, many are interdependent on some
larger tickets, so the actual number is a bit deceptive.

What is _not_ deceptive, however, is the three dozen tickets that need
to be reviewed. Please, if you can spare any time this'
week, please please please go through the list of tickets to be
reviewed and grab one. It will be a huge help to the project.

Specifically, there are at this moment 13 tickets which are up for
review yet unassigned:
http://trac.openlayers.org/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&state=Review&milestone=2.7+Release&owner=&order=priority

....I stand by my stubborn release to do RC0 first thing in September,
so as the week progresses, I am going to be progressively
kicking tickets out of the 2.7 milestone and into 2.8. If you have
stuff that you *really* want to get into 2.7 and don't think you're
going to have time to make it, NOW is the time to start pleading your
case. I can't promise much sympathy but at any rate,
please say something now because I am in steamroller mode with this
and won't have time for last minute squeals.

Thanks to everyone for their continued hard work with the project.

Erik