[OpenLayers-Dev] Sponsorship Credits

Amos Hayes ahayes at gcrc.carleton.ca
Fri Dec 5 12:45:51 EST 2008

Hello. I'm quite new to the list and OpenLayers use. I'm sorry to jump
into the middle of this conversation from pretty much out of the blue,
but I was happy to see a recognition of the need to recognize
contributions other than cash.

I have been managing a collection of research projects over the last 5
years or so and one of the things we managed to develop to support
them all was a framework for user-built interactive cartography (or
Cybercartography, as it is referred to in our academic circles). We
called the framework Nunaliit ( http://nunaliit.org ) and in many ways
over the last few years, the map widget available in our framework has
been impressively outpaced by OpenLayers development. And this is great.

We simply can't compete (not want to) on this and I feel our time,
energy, and money would be better spent trying to take what is
innovative and unique about Nunaliit and working to contribute it to
OpenLayers (if there is interest) or at least build a complimentary
javascript library rather than our current stand alone system.

So far, from what I have been able to follow, the discussion seems to
have taken into account the needs of corporations and individuals. I'd
like to propose a third collection of folks with different goals to
keep in mind: academic research organizations. As a research centre in
a university, our priority as it relates to this thread is recognition
for our work, the work of our researchers, and the support of *our*
funders. We are entirely grant funded and restricted from making cash
donations, however we can pay for software development and other
services.

We have been able to point funders to our framework web site and there
is a tangible output of their funding there, along with recognition of
their contribution. As we look to shift a decent chunk of development
money to a group effort, we still need a place to point people that
has our name, logo, contributions, and our funders listed. Perhaps a
page you host with names and small logos (even for non-cash
contributions) could simply include a 'More...' link to page on the
contributor's site? Then we can maintain the additional information on
what we're doing and who's funding it.

Thanks for your time. I realize this might seem a bit pre-mature in
our case, but as an academic organization thinking about making an
investment of significant research funds in OpenLayers over the coming
years, we're just trying to avoid regrets. Recognition is really
important in academic work and in securing future research funding. I
welcome your feedback.

--
Amos Hayes
Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre
ahayes at gcrc.carleton.ca
+1.613.520.2600x8179