[OpenLayers-Dev] arbitrary element as marker?

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jun 17 09:21:35 EDT 2008

Is it possible to use an arbitrary HTML element (say a div containing
several images) as a marker?  My use case is that I have several
different styles of marker images and then some overlay images that
add a numeral or letter on top of the marker.  OpenLayers.Marker uses
OpenLayers.Icon, which will only show an single image.

I could put two markers in the same location but that seems horribly
inefficient.

I could also probably use a Point feature and override the styling but
it seems like a lot of effort to get a reasonably simple effect.

If it is not currently possible to do this then I will implement it -
any suggestions?  Seems like the simplest method would be to subclass
or modify the Icon class to allow for an arbitrary element.

Cheers

Paul

    Paul Spencer
    Chief Technology Officer