[OpenLayers-Dev] OL 2.6 timeline?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Mar 3 10:41:07 EST 2008

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:59:02AM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am wondering what if any timeline has been set or being thought about
>> for OpenLayers 2.6 release? Not looking for anything hard, just trying
>> to get an idea so I can better plan some projects around it. 2.6 has
>> some vector features I would like to use, so trying to plan around:
>>
>> 1) use 2.5, go with out those features, update later
>> 2) backport the changes (might be more than I can deal with easily)
>> 3) take a snapshot of svn, build around that, update later
>> 4) work other stuff until 2.6 is ready.
>>
>> I'm leaning towards 1 or 3 without info on 2.6 timing. 2) just seems
>> like it might get messy very fast.
>
> At this point, I'm using trunk for anything new I build. We're working
> solely on completing a release at this point: Our number of tickets is
> low, and there are only two outstanding serious development efforts
> remaining. (Animated tile transitions and Better Popups.) Both are
> reasonably far along. You can see the status of the current 2.6 release
> at http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Release/2.6 -- there are 2 tickets
> awaiting commit, 9 tickets which need further work of some kind... and
> 291 closed tickets.
>
> Every time I've made a statement about an actual date, it's been wrong,
> so I think that I'm just going to stick with "We're working only on
> getting a stable and bugfree release out, and not adding any additional
> features beyond the ones slated for this release."

Thank you this is exactly what I needed. It sounds like I can work with
svn which should be pretty stable excepting the 2 noted tickets waiting
commits and an update to 2.6 should be reasonable painless at this point.

The feature editing tools that I have been working with are very nice.
Great job and kudos to all for them and the other features I have yet to
explore.

-Steve W