[OpenLayers-Dev] OL 2.6 timeline?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Mar 3 10:26:25 EST 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:59:02AM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering what if any timeline has been set or being thought about
> for OpenLayers 2.6 release? Not looking for anything hard, just trying
> to get an idea so I can better plan some projects around it. 2.6 has
> some vector features I would like to use, so trying to plan around:
>
> 1) use 2.5, go with out those features, update later
> 2) backport the changes (might be more than I can deal with easily)
> 3) take a snapshot of svn, build around that, update later
> 4) work other stuff until 2.6 is ready.
>
> I'm leaning towards 1 or 3 without info on 2.6 timing. 2) just seems
> like it might get messy very fast.

At this point, I'm using trunk for anything new I build. We're working
solely on completing a release at this point: Our number of tickets is
low, and there are only two outstanding serious development efforts
remaining. (Animated tile transitions and Better Popups.) Both are
reasonably far along. You can see the status of the current 2.6 release
at http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Release/2.6 -- there are 2 tickets
awaiting commit, 9 tickets which need further work of some kind... and
291 closed tickets.

Every time I've made a statement about an actual date, it's been wrong,
so I think that I'm just going to stick with "We're working only on
getting a stable and bugfree release out, and not adding any additional
features beyond the ones slated for this release."