[OpenLayers-Dev] Web-based Configuration using Mapbuilder for GSoC 2008

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 18:18:32 EDT 2008

Hello Mathew,
Nice to meet you and great to hear this project is of interest.

In my opinion, understanding of good programming practices and design is
more important than specific language issues which can be learned as you
code. The structure of Java is similar to Javascript which will give you
a good start. Probably the best way to start is to read some tutorials
and have a look at the code in existing applications. (Things like
inheritance are done differently in javascript).
Understanding XSL will be beneficial for the Mapbuilder parts of this
project.

http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Documentation
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAP/Developers+Guide
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAP/Tutorials

(Plenty of pages here, I don't suggest you read them all yet)