[OpenLayers-Dev] Summer of Code: Why two 'web-based configuration' ideas?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 20:22:09 EDT 2008

As discussed in the last chat on this topic, I've merged the 2 Web Based
Configuration SOC topics into one at:
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Web-basedConfiguration

I've used the words " The student will likely build upon work from two
projects: Lorenzo's code, and Mapbuilder."

Tim,
I understand that Mapbuilder could be seen as a competitor to
Openlayers, especially as extensions in Mapbuilder are not always
backwardly compatible into Openlayers.
However, I think there are great synergies to be gained by working
together on problems.
Mapbuilder developers have been gradually migrating functionality from
Mapbuilder to Openlayers - or developing the code in Openlayers then
importing it into Mapbuilder. Eg: A year ago both projects were working
on vector rendering and we combined forces to do this together. In this
process, Mapbuilder is moving toward being an Openlayers AddIn.
(Mapbuilder has a lot of code, so migration will take a while).
I see a Web Based Configuration tool as being another opportunity for
Mapbuilder and Openlayers to move toward developing common tools.