[OpenLayers-Dev] auto-generating OpenLayers javascript

Tim Schaub tschaub at openplans.org
Wed May 7 18:44:54 EDT 2008

Hey-

As Bart mentions, WMC is the only spec that comes close to this (but as
he says, just for WMS layers).  The OWS Context spec is not yet adopted
as an OGC spec (http://www.ogcnetwork.net/context).  When it is, we can
write a parser for it.  However, this would still not treat things like
a Google layer, or a Vector layer with a few hand drawn features, or a
map with an overview map control.

If you really want to serialize things specific to OpenLayers, then you
probably won't find a standard.  A while ago, we started work on an
OpenLayers object notation (OLON).  I put together some stuff that would
allow objects created from OpenLayers classes to be serialized as OLON -
and then be deserialized again as instances of the same classes.

You can see an example here:
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/context/examples/olon.html

This may be overkill for what you want - WMC or OWS Context are
certainly more "standard".

This also would take a bit to get in to the trunk - so really just a
heads up.  If you're interested though, it would be good to know that
there is interest in it.

Tim