[OpenLayers-Dev] time-based versus functionality-based release

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Nov 4 18:14:27 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 11:22:29AM +0100, bartvde at osgis.nl wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> just wondering how people are experiencing the fact that 2.7 was a
> time-based release instead of a functionality-based release.
>
> Personally I am more in favour of the functionality-based releasing, since
> now I still need to patch a lot of things in the 2.7 release with respect
> to GML, Filter, WFS etc.

Bart,

Given that none of these things are in trunk, I'm not sure how this
would be any different from a feature based release. Unless you're
saying that you could have waited another $time_period for 2.7 -- if you
were still using 2.6 today (since we can't cut a release today with the
features you want), how would the situation be different?

As soon as the features that people care about are in trunk, I'm happy
to cut another release. Heck, I'm happy to do another release far more
often than we currently are, I think it has a lot of good things going
for it. But claiming that the reason that your code needs to be patched
is becaues of a time-base released simply seems incorrect to me until
your features are in trunk.