[OpenLayers-Dev] Spending Sponsorship Money

John R. Frank john.frank at metacarta.com
Tue Nov 4 19:50:09 EST 2008

How about this for a sequence of formulaic steps:

1)  I think everyone would agree that OpenLayers would benefit from
figuring out how to spend money on itself.  Putting that to a vote would
get unanimous support (I think).

2)  The word "benefit" above is vague.  We've seen several notions of what
benefit means.  Metrics are independent of benefits, so we don't need to
get hung up on metrics (at least not yet, and maybe never).  To be totally
pedantic, benefits are increases in utility as measured by some peoples'
utility function.  I would like to see a list of the benefits that we hope
would come from spending money.  With such a list in place, the PSC should
vote on the various parts of it --- at least high-level categories if not
specific target benefits.  Ideally, this would result in a ranking of the
most important things that money could buy the project.  Articulating
target benefits in plain language can be difficult -- it takes time and
discussion.

3)  Then, after(!) that, we can figure out which specific purchases would
help achieve the ranked benefits.  Since this involves lots of leg work,
like calling tshirt printers :-), the PSC should delegate it to
individuals or small groups who are particularly jazzed about one or
another benefit.  This will tell the PSC the costs of various approaches
to the goals.  When the PSC has money to spend, it will need to vote on
proposed budgets.

4)  With this information in hand, we are almost ready to seek money from
sponsors.  We need just one more thing:  a bank.  We could use OSGEO's
banking service, which has a fee associated with it.  Or we could use any
of a variety of other banking services.  Again, this should be delegated
to people who will report back to the group on the costs/benefits of each
banking option.  Then, the we can vote on that selecting that.

5)  After that ground work in place, then we're ready to approach
sponsors.  When the project has money, the PSC may decide to allocate
money specifically toward seeking sponsorships.

The conversation "with MetaCarta" to which Erik and Chris alluded was not
quite so formal as that might have sounded.  Josiah (head of engineering)
and I listened to the summary of the discussion to date, and found that it
was primarily about #4 in the list above.  We suggested that steps 1-3 are
more important than #4 and that without the results of steps 1-3, step 5
will be challenging.

As a PSC member and a netizen, I would love for the project to do all five
steps.  Here are a couple candidate benefits that I think some people may
like.

1) make OpenLayers easy to adopt and use -- regardless of whether you are
a JavaScript ninja or just starting out

2) make OpenLayers globally known as the easiest way to build rich mapping
applications

3) gather a larger group of people using OpenLayers professionally and
also contributing to the project

Others?

John