[OpenLayers-Dev] Spending Sponsorship Money

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Wed Nov 5 07:41:48 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 19:50 -0500, John R. Frank wrote:
>  I would like to see a list of the benefits that we hope
> would come from spending money.  With such a list in place, the PSC should
> vote on the various parts of it --- at least high-level categories if not
> specific target benefits.  Ideally, this would result in a ranking of the
> most important things that money could buy the project.

Unless I'm mistaken, we already have a list of benefits that we hope
would come from spending money. Quoting from the sponsorship doc that
crschmidt already prepared at
http://svn.openlayers.org/project/sponsorship/sponsoring:

"The possible tasks that such funding would achieve:

 * Triage of bug reports, i.e. reproducing, then fixing or passing on to
   another developer a particular bug.
 * Extending the test suite for existing and new features to help
   improve library quality and prevent regressions.
 * Improving documentation to lower the bar to entry for the project.
 * General improvements to the software, especially as they meet the
needs
   of the wider OpenLayers community.
 * Funding participation in organized project activities, such as code
   sprints or other directed OpenLayers-improvement tasks.

"Sponsorship funds may also be used to contract for specific
improvements to
OpenLayers, to provision resources such as web hosting, or to support
project
promotion."

I'm really happy with this list as it already stands. Does anyone have
any qualms with it?

Basically -- Christopher, with all due respect, you were off to a really
strong start with this document, and I don't think you or anyone should
be discouraged by the discussion that has gone on around it. OpenLayers
owes its existence to MetaCarta's support, but MetaCarta is hardly the
only company out there that will support the project financially towards
the goals that have already been articulated.

What are we waiting for? ;)

SDE