[OpenLayers-Dev] Additional Documentation

Jacolin Yves yjacolin at free.fr
Thu Nov 13 08:28:17 EST 2008

Le Thursday 13 November 2008 14:16:24 Paul Spencer, vous avez écrit :
> On 13-Nov-08, at 7:33 AM, Jacolin Yves wrote:
> > Le Thursday 13 November 2008 13:02:56 Christopher Schmidt, vous avez
> >
> > écrit :
> >> I believe that translations of documents could also be managed this
> >> way:
> >> simply have a spherical_mercator.fr.rst document alongside the
> >> English
> >> one, for example.
> >
> > Hi Christopher,
> >
> > Great to hear this :) I would prefer using something like the OSGeo
> > journal
> > [1]  and add a locate flag to your build command to build only
> > documentation
> > for one langage.
>
> Who wouldn't want to create documentation in latex rather than
> something boring like rst?  Oh, that would be everyone ;)
>
> Chris ... can you explain why you would want to do it this way rather
> than through the wiki?  I am for this approach but it seems that there
> is already some level of prose documentation in the wiki and having
> stuff in two places seems a bit confusing.

Hi Paul,

You are right, but you can create high quality documentation in PDF, HTML
(other format?) from one source files.

Wiki is interesting for user tips and general informations, LaTeX/RST format
is better for a kind of "official" and high quality documentation.

It is also easier to translate it : diff files, check a ML to see changes made
in english/original files hosted in svn, etc.

Y. translator of GDAL-OGR, Cartoweb and ImageMagic documentation into
French ;)
--
Yves Jacolin
---