[OpenLayers-Dev] OSGeo Project Sponsorship

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Sat Nov 15 20:09:26 EST 2008

A small note from the peanut gallery.

I hope folks can see the broader benefit of channeling funds through
OSGeo for sponsorship -- although 25% is a chunk of change -- remember
that the projects ARE the foundation and in that sense, that 25% also
goes back to benefiting the project in other means.

Sometimes there is a perception that OSGeo is arm's length from the
technical activities -- but nothing can be further from the truth. It
is an entity whose exclusive membership is those seen as the most
deserving from within the community developing OSGeo technologies,
with a board selected from within this same community. OSGeo needs to
find ways to sustain itself - in part through volunteers and in part
through hard cash -- just as the projects themselves need to sustain
themselves.

On the surface - I understand the desire to avoid going through OSGeo
for project sponsorship - but in some sense, think of this as a small
way in which OpenLayers can help sustain the broader foundation we
collectively benefit from.

Dave

Dave McIlhagga
www.dmsolutions.ca