[OpenLayers-Dev] OSGeo Project Sponsorship

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Sun Nov 16 00:15:35 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 20:09 -0500, Dave McIlhagga wrote:
> ... think of this as a small
> way in which OpenLayers can help sustain the broader foundation we
> collectively benefit from.

I agree with Dave on this. I think that OSGeo membership is a net win
for OpenLayers, and I think that the foundation's share in our
sponsorship will be well spent to  our benefit and the benefit of the
entire Open Source GIS community.

I would like to move that we request that the OSGeo Foundation serve as
our funding vehicle, in the same fashion that it already serves the GDAL
project. As and when we get willing donors, I recommend that we invite
them to donate to us through OSGeo. If the tax receipt is an issue for a
would-be donor, we should invite them to wait until OSGeo's non-profit
status is finalized before donating. We've made it this far without
explicit sponsorship funding; I think we can wait another few months to
receive funds if necessary.

Do we need a PSC vote on this? If so I am +1.

SDE