[OpenLayers-Dev] [OpenLayers-PSC] PSC composition?

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Nov 21 08:54:18 EST 2008

Cameron,

One of the founding principles of OSGeo was the concept of individual
meritocracy -- not corporate merit. This was done intentionally,
following the Apache model to ensure that the best people were
represented in the organization and their projects, irrespective of
their corporate affiliation. This is also why Sponsorship is kept very
much at an arm's length from having any direct influence benefits into
the organization.

One very real issue with corporate representation -- what if an
individual developer on the PSC leaves the organization? Is his
position on the PSC therefore lost? This is the separation between
individual contribution and influence vs. direct corporate influence
that I believe is critical for the integrity of these projects.

I think this is a critical principle to uphold in order to preserve
the "arm's length" objective of OSGeo and it's projects from the
institutional contributors (be it financial or in-kind)

One goal of a particular PSC may be (and probably should be) to find
balance in terms of individuals who represent various sources of
contributions -- but I think this can be handled by recognizing the
appropriate individuals rather than having a direct seat at the table
for any one particular organization.

My 2 cents.

Dave

Dave McIlhagga