[OpenLayers-Dev] Spending Sponsorship Money

Erik Uzureau euzuro at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 00:15:33 EDT 2008

Dear Dev,

Chris, JRF, and I had a discussion with some folks at MetaCarta, in which
the company expressed interest in participating in this nascent Sponsorship
endeavour. Although it is still far from a concrete commitment, it was
overall a very positive meeting and as things solidify with our
implementation of the program, we hope to go back to MetaCarta with a more
serious proposal.

During our discussion, concern was raised over how exactly the PSC plans to
spend sponsorship dollars. Having a clear list of our intentions is indeed a
helpful tool when selling sponsorships... given that the terms of the
contract are 'funds to be allocated based purely on a PSC vote', it seems
logical that potential sponsors would like to have an idea of what sort of
things the PSC has in mind (beyond party hats).

So Chris Schmidt has been so good as to start a wiki[1] and to do a really
nice job of elaborating a list of some of the main options for using
sponsorship points.

As always in wikilandia, the idea is to get feedback and participation from
the rest of the crew. Can you please take a moment to look over this
document, make changes if you see fit, or reply here to this thread with any
comments/concerns?

I believe the process with this doc will be to let it sit as a wiki for a
week or so, accumulating/merging ideas from the community. Once we reach a
consensus, we can vote this in and at that point perhaps transfer its
contents to a straight, more official/permanent HTML page -- as chris has
already done with the other sponsorship documents thus far.

Cheers again to chris for all his hard work in kickstarting OpenLayers
Sponsorship. There is still a fair amount of administrivia to be handled
before we could call it "official", but I feel like the whole thing is
already off to a very good start.

Please give some feedback,
Erik

[1] http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Sponsorship/Uses